Monday, April 18, 2011

Say "I Do" to the DIY Cake Topper

This is the first DIY project that I have decided to do after falling madly in love with a cake topper I just can't fathom spending the kind of money on they are asking for it. ($98.00)

Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception Ido


Pretty isn't it?
So I decided after looking at so many bee's tacking their own DIY projects that I would try one myself.  I'd like the think I am somewhat of a "crafty" girl so I got started.
I went to Hobby Lobby with one of my bridesmaids and was on a search.  I found a graet deal on some cute swirly wooden letters and then began my search for beads!  I am basing this cake topper on the cake topper inspiration as well as the cake that I adore.
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception Img Thing
So now I was on a misson to find a bit of purple, a bit of pearls, and a bit of sparkle beading for my topper.  After gathering all of my beads, clear craft glue and this tool that picks up small beads (this was a life savor a lady in the aisle suggested) I was checking out.  My total was $15.00! Yes!
So I started my project Saturday morning instead of doing some dreaded homework. I first laid out all my supplies, and grabbed some white paint I had around the house, a foam paint brush (its all I had) and some newspaper.
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception P1010138
So the crafting began...I first laid out the newspaper and painted my letters. This took a long time because I wanted to make sure they were completely dry.
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception P1010142
Once dry I began to add the beads....this bead picker upper thingy really came in handy for this part or else I think I would have worn more beads and glue than my letters did.
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception P1010143
Picture is kind of blurry but you get the idea....nearly an hour later the first one is complete.
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception P1010148
So I continued do so on the other two letters and this is the outcome!
Easy DIY Cake Topper :  wedding diy cake cake topper purple silver inspiration reception P1010151
So all I have left to do is add some small sticks to the backs of each letter so that they will stick into the cake.
What do you think?  Do you think I accomplished what my pocket book originally couldn't afford?

No comments:

Post a Comment