Saturday, July 16, 2011

Monogram Tutorial

I had gotten a lot of requests to show how I made my recent monogram out of my fabric flower petals so I thought I would take some time to show you just how this beauty was created.  Its actually very simple and didn't take but maybe a couple hours over all.

Materials:
Fabric of choice (1 yard)
Cardboard Box
Scissors
Glue Gun
Glue Sticks
Ribbon
Paint (to match fabric if desired)

First you will need a fabric of choice.  I like the poly satin fabrics. I just love the texture and the softness of it.  I am also using this same fabric for our bouquets and bouts so I wanted it all to match.  But I am sure you could use any fabric of your choice.  I used about 1 yard. 

Cut out circles between 2 and 3 inchs in circumference.  I am not sure how many I cut I would say at least 100. 

So you will have a bunch of circles like so...


Next take one circle and put a dot of hot glue in the center and fold.  Then put another drop of glue in the center and fold again until your circle looks like this...
(sorry for the flash)
It should kind of look like a fortune cookie.  These are your petals.  That is all you need to do.  Now make about a 100 of them then proceed.



Next get a big sheet of paper. I used a 11x17 sheet and draw your initials on them.  I had to do a few drafts before I thought they looked OK.  You should end up with this.


Next, cut out your letters and place them on top of card board and trace.  I traced them each twice because I wanted them very stiff. Then cut out the cardboard letters.  Once they are cut out glue them on top of one another to make two layers of your cardboard letters.


Next Paint those letters.  The reason I have one white and purple is because I was going to use purple flowers first then changed my mind and decided on white.  So I then painted both of them white.  Do a few coats and be sure to get the sides.  It doesn't have to be perfect because your flowers will cover it.  I just wanted to make sure the cardboard wouldn't show through.

Once your letters are dry (I waited a full day) you can start adding your petals, one at a time to each letter.  Just simply put a dab of glue on the cardboard and place you flower petal to where the petal faces up.  I learned this was easier because I burned myself a few times putting the glue on the flower first.  Lesson learned.

After you have put all your petals on, your letters should look like this.




Finally add the ribbon of your choice and your have some amazing monograms!  Let me know if you have any questions I'd love to help!

Oh yea, and don't forget to bring some hooks to hang them on the doors of the venue!!

No comments:

Post a Comment